Friday, July 23, 2010

A Few Lucky Birds

Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows. -Luke 12:7

That's it?? ..more valuable than many sparrows? Jesus, I was kinda' looking for something along the lines of ...more valuable than gold, the cattle of a thousand hills, a Trump palace. Those are my initial thoughts anyway. But then I look a little more closely, and see what Jesus was saying in the context of the situation at hand. There were thousand of people gathered around Jesus and His friends ...so much so that some were being trampled. Sounds kinda' like a rock concert. Jesus was discussing the shallow-ness and the mis-guided ways of the pharisees ...and He told those with him not to fear. His Father even cared, and had not forgotten about, something as seemingly insignificant as five sparrows that could be sold for a couple of pennies.

Sometimes I'm afraid. And that fear comes from me thinking I don't have enough, or even what I need. I want to have what others have. A Trump palace wouldn't be so bad, noteriety and appreciation would be nice too. But at times I'm even fearful that I don't have enough to be what God wants me to be. But then Jesus speaks and shows "me" how shallow I can be sometimes. He desires faaaaaar better than earthly riches and noteriety for me. He said that His Father, my Father, even knows the hairs on my head. Next time I feel insignificant, or that things aren't going my way .....maybe these words will remind me just how significant I really am ...and I'll trust that whatever didn't go my way probably wasn't best anyway. Maybe that's what "faith" is.

No comments:

Post a Comment