Monday, July 12, 2010

Do You Know God's Plan For Your Life?

Well, have you asked Him? If you don't know Him personally (..and you can..) the first step toward that is (a) recognizing that we have trespassed against Him, (b) recognizing our "need" for Him and what He has done for us, and (c) surrendering to Him.


If you "do" know Him ...I would be willing to wager that you've had moments, as have I, that it would sure be good to get an itinerary of God's plan for our lives. I've even bargained with God... "Lord, if You'll just spell it out for me ..I'll figure out the how and where, sell whatever I need to sell, disregard whatever I need to disregard... but I just need to know if I'm going in the right direction.".

God enjoys it when we communicate with Him, just as any Father does. But I wonder if we place our own bent on our request for a revelation of our life's journey. Let me give you a couple of examples from Scripture....

1. In Luke 8, Jesus heals a man with a demon. This man, once healed and recognizing Jesus is Lord (v.38) "...begged that he might be with him." Jesus response... "Return to your home, and declare how much God has done for you."

2. In Matthew 20 a mother makes a request, asking Jesus to "Say that these two sons of mine are to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your kingdom." I love Jesus' response!! He asked her, in the modern vernacular, "..do you really know what you're asking?"

There is, no doubt, much to be learned from the above mentioned scenarios. These are "Jesus In Action" scenarios, and it is fascinating to indulge ourselves to literally read how Jesus acted and re-acted to situations. But here's what really stood out to me, today, as I read these two seemingly seperate portions of Scripture. I need to be ever-ready to act, to move, to shift ...at the Lord's direction. I need to position myself, and my family, so that we are ready and able to "drop our nets" when the Lord opens a door. More often, I find myself "asking" God what my purpose is, what direction I am to go. The truth is.... He has truly already made that clear in His Word to us. We are to be ready, in season and out of season, to proclaim the truth of the gospel (2 Tim. 4:2). In terms of what particular direction the Lord may direct us ....(a) we should be careful what we ask, and (b) we should be ready, and willing, to be content just where he has us. Like the man healed of the demon ...God may choose to just use me where I am. That's not as attractive as being a missionary in the utter-most parts of the world ...but if it is His will; I'd rather be obedient. And in relation to the story told in Matthew ...I wonder how many times the Lord has saved me from myself. God knows my heart, and He knows my maturity level as a disciple. He knows what I am ready for, and what I am not.

I'm just going to have to learn to trust Him where I am ...and where He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment