Saturday, July 10, 2010

Everyday Evangelism

“No one after lighting a lamp covers it with a jar or puts it under a bed, but puts it on a stand, so that those who enter may see the light. For nothing is hidden that will not be made manifest, nor is anything secret that will not be known and come to light." -Luke 8:16-17

My job involves, often, being on the phone with customers. This morning I was assisting a woman from Illinois. I asked if it was as hot in Illinois as in Arkansas; which she confirmed. This led her to talk about her sister in Wyoming (..where there was snow in the mountains just the other day..), which led me to talk about a mission trip to Montana in recent years. This led to a story, which I am sure my wife is tired of hearing me share, of how I once wanted to live as a mountain man, with no more than a fishing pole and peace and quiet. I told this woman, whom I was helping, that I want to someday plant a sign in the ground in Wyoming or Montana that says "...God started here!.." What a beautiful creation "He" has made.

I'd like to tell you that this simple spark of a conversation led to a great spiritual discussion. I'd like to tell you how I was introduced to a sister in Christ (..this has happened before..). Those things didn't happen this time. Her simple response was ...."yeah, it's beautiful out there". No drama, no excitement, not even a  very good segue to speak specifically of Jesus Christ. But it sure was great to just talk with one of God's wonderfully created children.

Seed planting. I am reminded, as I go through life, that we are simply seed-planters. Some are actually a part of literally seeing the harvest of people coming to the surrender of Jesus Christ as Lord. But mostly.... I just know seed-planters. Common people, living common lives, faithfully serving a fascinating, glorious, gracious, merciful, and loving Creator God.

As my wife and I praised the Lord together this morning... I told her that I have to constantly remind myself that I need to display my light on a stand, displaying the glory of the Lord? I am tempted to only "shine" when it is convenient, or when I know I'll get a response? It wasn't very eloquent, I know; but I sure hope a seed was planted with the woman to whom I spoke today. I hope she begins to wonder about our Creator, and begins to pursue Him. Oh... I would much rather have had the opportunity to talk about my Jesus, your Jesus, our Jesus; to be intentional about Him. But even when no one is really listening ...maybe I can just scatter a seed ...and pray that it lands on fertile ground. Would you please pray for Debbie, in Illinois, today? If your light is always burning ....people cannot help but to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment