Sunday, February 13, 2011

So Sweet To Trust In Jesus

"Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings,"   -Psalm 17:8

This morning I walked out of our youth bible study feeling very "under the weather". "Worship time" is very special, and very simple, at our church. We're always excited and anxious to see how the Holy Spirit will lead. As we began to sing ...I quickly discovered that I could not. No pipes! Just wheezes and groans. Frustration was an initial temptation. I just wanted to worship the Lord!!

The Lord showed me something, very quickly, and unexpectedly. I stood.... doing barely more than humming the melody of "Tis So Sweet To Trust In Jesus". As I was unable to sing out load .....God restored a song, this song, in my heart. It reminded me that His song is a song sung most loudly within our own hearts, that His word should be stored in our hearts (Psalm 119:11). The words came "alive" to me this morning.

And just to show how God works all things together..... I'll briefly rewind to a Valentine's Banquet which our small fellowship had just the night before. Just a simple night of food, fun, and fellowship. One of the activities was a game to see which team could recite the most Scripture passages about "love". The competitive instincts kicked in.... and several of us even began digging for the iPhones ....so that we could gain a competitive edge. What can I say. But boy how "iron sharpens iron"! A dear brother gently rebuked us, we cheaters, and it didn't seem like much then ....but what was on his heart turned into a beautiful reminder of how these words, these "love" Scriptures, should "already" be in our hearts. Oh what a blessing this turned out to be! God used a simple game ....to show His presence, and how He desires to store His word in "our" hearts! The Lord of all creation wants to secure His treasured word in our own frail, sinful hearts.

Back to this morning's worship..... those thoughts, apparently, hadn't left me. Even our worship leader was taken back while singing this song. I saw a smile, almost a giggle (Lord, look what you're doing....) come over his face as we sang. Add to that, the particular Scripture passage (Acts 8:4) which, unbeknown to us, our guest preacher was about to preach ....was printed just above the song we were singing. Nope ...no magic, or hocus-pocus .....just God working "all things together for the good of those who are called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)

God reminded me, this weekend, of His will, His purpose. He will accomplish what He has set out to accomplish. His desire is that we, His creation, enjoy it with Him. Maybe the words to this simple song will bless you. Sing it out loud ...in your heart!

’Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at His Word;
Just to rest upon His promise,
And to know, “Thus saith the Lord!”
Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er,
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh, for grace to trust Him more!
Oh, how sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to trust His cleansing blood;
And in simple faith to plunge me
’Neath the healing, cleansing flood! 
Yes, ’tis sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just from sin and self to cease;
Just from Jesus simply taking
Life and rest, and joy and peace. 
I’m so glad I learned to trust Thee,
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend;
And I know that Thou art with me,
Wilt be with me to the end. 
Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er,
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh, for grace to trust Him more!