Wednesday, February 9, 2011

You Can't Take It With You

"6Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, 7for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world."  -1 Timothy 6:6-7
 And you thought momma made that up! For those convinced, and convicted, to do so ...."purging" oneself of worldly desires is, to say the least, difficult ....and a battle one will fight the remainder of his / her natural life "in" this world. But be of great courage. You and I don't fight that battle alone either. It amazes me how righteous prayer, prayer and desire that pleases the Lord, really does work! I am a former smoker ....twice a quitter! The first time ....I pulled myself up by the proverbial boot-straps and succeeded in quitting! I was very "proud of me". That may have been precisely why, at a weak moment, I started again. The 2nd time I quit ......I confessed to the Lord that I absolutely cannot do this on my own, in my own power, and my own will is not strong enough to sustain me and remain quit.

The 2nd time around ....God had the glory, and not just in words. It really was "Him" that did it. I know. I was there! He used this roller-coaster to teach me something. If He gets the glory ...we get the benefit. If we'll depend on Him for all our needs, wants, desires ....He is more than able, and apparently willing, to provide. We just have to find our contentment "in Him". It wasn't enough for me to quit smoking merely because of the social stigma, the expense, or even the likely health issues. While all those things are valid .....I had to want to quit to honor and glorify Him. I think that was a sweet sound to His ear.

In short time ...I found I could be content without that crutch in my hand, and He filled that void with healthier habits, and desires. And the more I learn to "do without" ....the more I find contentment in leaning on Him.