Friday, February 18, 2011

I'm Ok With ...FEAR The Lord

"The friendship of the LORD is for those who fear him, and he makes known to them his covenant." I'm ok with FEAR the Lord." -Psalm 25:14

A very wise man once said..... "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction." (Proverbs 1:7) Our Father, our all-powerful Creator and Lord, is more than someone to be feared, for certain. He is all that makes up "love" as well. "Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love." (1 John 4:8) A songwriter said it well... "You're my everything, Lord".

Often, I hear the word "fear" a little watered down. We're hesitant to portray a God who is to be "feared". I firmly believe that is only because we have our priorities all wrong, our place in things, and what it really means to "fear God". A criminal, a trespasser, "fears" the law! This is not a fear of someone who stalks them. This is a fear brought on by their own wrong-doing. Likewise, I feared my own dad when I did wrong. At the same time ....I enjoyed his love when I did what was right.

The same God who loves you is also to be feared. It is His love, for you and I, that makes Him fearful. Accept His scolding when you're wrong. Fear His righteousness ...even when you feel right! Look forward to His love in it all.