Monday, February 14, 2011

The Heavens Truly Declare His Glory ...As Should We

"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge. There is no speech, nor are there words, whose voice is not heard. Their voice goes out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world." -Psalm 19:1-4


Today is a beautiful, Spring-like, day.... in mid-February. There is simply no way I can look around me outside and not see the wonder of God's creative handiwork! And yes, that is even in spite of a mostly cruel, fallen world around me. Our choices do not change His character. But did I always feel that way? Many, still, do not.

As a child, I spent very little time in church (that is... going to a building, with a group, where we study God's word). I interject that explanation of "church", simply because, as a child, I recall being confused by all the denominationalism around me; as are so many today. I figured there was simply something I was missing about all this. Don't get me wrong.... I know, now, that I was occasionally in an environment that was very healthy in proclaiming the truth of the gospel, but far over-arching was an environment of stale-ness toward the things of Christ. Many I grew up with were in the same boat. I steered clear of religion for the most-part. Maybe it was a generational effect due, in part, by how we have confused who God is, who Christ is, what "church" is.

However, the words of the Apostle Paul ring true... "For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." (Romans 1:20) I don't think I ever believed, at the very least, there was NOT "God". Maybe we didn't have His name right, or maybe one denomination knew Him more accurately than another, but even in my certain immaturity.... I recall thinking... "maybe we're just confused about who God is, because I know he exists just by looking around at what is created." I had no clue how profound those early inklings were! Had I known what the Scriptures said about the evidence of God.....I wonder how this might have impacted me at an early age? Yet, I know I remained without excuse. The heavens truly do declare His glory!! Rivers and streams, mountains and hills ....all a result of the workmanship of the Master Craftsman. I still am unclear how many of us have gotten confused with the creation, itself, being the god. Even my uneducated, immature, beginnings spoke to me that "a very powerful Creator" had to do all this.

But what is meant in "being without excuse"? It is critical, as we grow, that we not claim merely knowing "of" God as sufficient or equivalent to "knowing" God. To know Him, according to His word ("all" of His word) is to know Jesus Christ. The two cannot be separated. Maybe this is where we have fallen into worship of the creation ...instead of the Creator. Praise Him ....that He provided His workmanship for us to enjoy, and to give evidence of His goodness. Believers should not neglect any opportunity to tell the rest of His story, as per His design and intention, from creation-to-Christ' return. May His voice, through us, go out through all the earth. 

The world today needs "clear Christianity", not merely good praise bands, CEO-like pastors, or houses of worship than can double as shopping malls. These things will pass. To those claiming to be a Christ-follower .....learn the story, hide His words in your heart, so they can flow forth from it, that others can avoid confusion and being led the wrong way.