Saturday, July 24, 2010

Who's That Knockin' On My Door?

If you live in the South you know that a knock on your "front" door is typically indicative that someone is there who really doesn't know you or your family well, or at all. We use whatever door is closest to the automobile we drive! Am I right?? Around these parts ...it's a pretty fair guess that it is a member of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (WBTS). This morning I had a knock on the "front" door, and to no surprise I was blessed to meet a very kind young man, and his daughter, of the Jehovah's Witness faith. I've yet to meet anyone of the Jehovah's Witness faith that I didn't like. Very kind, and well mannered, folks. We had a good discussion.

I thank God for this meeting today. It was instantly comfortable. I just happened to be wearing a t-shirt from a former fellowship I served with ...and he noticed the church name. This truly opened a door for honest discussion. I was able to immediately, and humbly, communicate that he and I both know that there are some fundamental "doctrinal" (teaching) differences. If you're not a person of faith ...you may be saying, right now, "here's another hair-splitting contest over belief. How can we know anyway?" Honestly, I felt no need to argue doctrine with this young man. I did, quite frankly, share Scripture that Jesus stated very clearly of Himself. "So, why does that matter?" ...you may ask. This is not argument, for the sake of argument. It is about basing belief on "foundations" ...and I see no better historical evidence than the foundations of Scripture ...not simply because it is "scripture", but because it is a historical record of what Jesus said about Himself, penned by those who witnessed it.

We could have argued "doctrine" all day, but Jesus' words pretty well speak for themselves, so I simply stated Scripture that this young man already knows. Jesus said something very bold, of Himself...
“I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." -John 14:6

It isn't about winning the argument. It isn't about having the correct doctrine. "It" is about the Holy God whom we serve, and are fearfully and wonderfully created by! "It" is about the assurance of salvation which you and I, and this young man from Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, and his daughter, can have. This kind man's doctrine teaches that we cannot know, for certain, who will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. But I don't serve an uncertain God, nor a God who desires that I be uncertain. I serve a God who is no respecter of men ...and a God who's desire it is that NONE SHOULD PERISH (2 Peter 3:9)

I sincerely enjoyed talking with this gentleman on my front porch this morning. We should all be able to simply "talk". I invited him to come in, but he has other houses to go to. So I invited him back any time ..and he graciously accepted that invitation. You never know when you'll learn something new. Don't be afraid. Know in whom you have believed ...and be convinced that He is able to keep that which He has committed (1 Timothy 1:12). Treat strangers with the same love that Christ expressed for you ....a stranger.

To learn more about Jehovah's Witness and the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society ..click on the link below. These folks have done an outstanding job to help equip us and to understand this melting pot of "beliefs" we encounter in our culture.

overview of Jehovah's Witness belief at www.4truth.net

No comments:

Post a Comment