Friday, July 16, 2010

Dirty Deeds... Done Disciple Cheap

John answered, “Master, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he does not follow with us.” But Jesus said to him, “Do not stop him, for the one who is not against you is for you.” -Luke 9:49-50

You can almost smell the pithy-ness (my new favorite word....look it up) of John here. Hey...it's not heresy... it's "human". Jesus was Lord, not him / them. C'mon ....we've all been there. "Especially" if you're a guy. There's almost no worse feeling than failing to be able to do something, and then someone else coming along and succeeding. This "someone" that John attempted to stop from casting out demons wasn't even a member of "The Disciple Dozen"! This wasn't his party! He probably wasn't even invited!! But.... he was doing "the will of the Father". How else could he cast out demons (short of a cheap magic trick)?

I absolutely love Jesus' response!! If I ever start thinking that being "Christian" is about me, specifically "for" me, or "dependant" on me..... this pretty well settles the argument. Jesus might as well have said to John.... Dude....let him cast out all the demons he wants! That's one less you or I have to cast out.... and one step closer toward fulfilling that little goal we have... you know, of going into the world and preaching the good news?. John did seem to state that this guy was not a "follower" with them. Whether that was by choice, unintentional ommission, or out-right disobedience on his own part .....the fella' was doing the Father's will. Despite any other faults he may have had ...not even the disciples could successfully argue against what he was doing.

I'm nearly 40 years old now. There are some young guys in my office that are probably going to be, if not sharper than me, likely "hungrier" than me to prove themselves. That goes with age too. Likewise, I'm a musician ....and I'd like to think I'm the best guitarist I know ...but I also know I simply am not. So, I have to just remind myself that I am "fearfully, and wonderfully made" ....and in God's "own image" no less. This also comes with age; being content with how God has blessed me. I'm not really sure, come to think of it, what there is to be jealous of. I'll just enjoy being "me".

No comments:

Post a Comment