Monday, July 26, 2010

Consumed

Have you ever been "consumed" with something ...anything? My wife and I are purchasing a home as we speak. Believe me ...it "consumes" us. We are constantly discussing details of the house, what we want to do to it. Our boys are less consumed ..but they, too, are thinking of each of their rooms and how they want to make it their own. My middle son is considering where he'll place his drum kit.

There was a man, a prophet, named Jeremiah who was "consumed". I was reading something he said....

If I say, “I will not mention him,
or speak any more in his name,”
there is in my heart as it were a burning fire
shut up in my bones,
and I am weary with holding it in,
and I cannot.

O Lord of hosts, who tests the righteous,
who sees the heart and the mind,
let me see your vengeance upon them,
for to you have I committed my cause.
-Jeremiah 20:9; Jeremiah 20:12

This is fascinating! God tested Jeremiah and he even felt "deceived" (Jeremiah 20:7) Yet... regardless of how he "felt", He still recognized God was stronger than he, that God had prevailed. Even in his frustration with circumstances ...Jeremiah recognized two very significant details of life as a creation of The Creator... (a) that God was in charge, and (b) that he simply couldn't hold back that which God speaks to, and through, him. Jeremiah had committed his cause to his Lord. He was "consumed".

God's new agreement with you and I (the New Testament of Scirpture) says that we cannot serve two masters. We'll love one and hate the other. In this case he spoke of "mammon" (riches, wealth, material things) ...which is the primary issue that today's world is either greedy on behalf of ....or feels persecuted due to a lack of it; whether you are young or old. We have "consumed" ourselves with material things.

Regardless of mine, or your, "personal persecution" or undesirable circumstances in life ....do we waffle back and forth with God? If He is God ...surely we can either trust Him with everything ...or simply can trust Him with nothing. Jesus said, Himself "You're either for me, or against me.". Jeremiah couldn't hold back that which God had placed inside him. His circumstances, in life, were far from pleasing many times ...but he knew to whom he had already committed his cause. He was so consumed with his Heavenly Father ...that he was unable to hold back glorifying Him. You may say.. well, God is not speaking to or through me!" Dear friend, from my own personal failures, surrender, and seeing God speak to and through this frail man ...let me assure you that He very much desires to do both ...but on "His" circumstances. That's it! That is what God wants for us, from us. Simply glorifying "Him". Do you not have what your friends / neighbors have? Or maybe you are one of the "haves". Priase God for it ...whichever camp you fall into. If you have riches, material things ....use them to glorify God. If you have "not" ....then things just became even more simpe. Use "you" to glorify God.

No comments:

Post a Comment