Friday, August 10, 2012

More Than I Deserve

The longer I live (..I turned the corner on 41 a couple of days ago in fact..) the more I am reminded of the seemingly simplistic reality that people just need the Lord Jesus. I know.... terribly un-original isn't it; even cliché? I'm not doing, living, or preaching to be profound, nor original. As I turn on the news, or listen to human beings right in our communities turn toward the logic and sway of the world, as it desperately tries to solve its own problems, I am ceaselessly, and desperately, though not yet despairingly jerked back in my memory to the words.... "trust in the Lord with all your heart. Do mot lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."

It seems the further in our own man-made holes we get ...the more fervently we clamor and claim.... it's not so bad here in the hole. This is just how it is. This is just who we are. Maybe it's just easier to wallow in the mud than to clean a shower stall. Either one is a bath I suppose. I'm beginning to conclude that if I am not seeking Christ desperately, then maybe I'm not seeking Him at all. Do we "really" want the truth? Without pulling out the... "woe to me, a sinner" card ....I keep praying and living ..knowing that very statement is truer than true about me. I read a Psalm this week....
 "He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him;" (Psalm 103:10-11)
WOW!! While me being a lowly sinner may be a truth ....even truer is that a redeeming, a loving, God "chose" not to deal with me according to my sin. Whatever I "deserve" is not part of the calculation of my worth, my value, to my Father and Creator.

To God be all glory!
Steve Terrell
grace alone