Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Why inerrancy of Scripture is a deal maker or deal breaker

I recently ran across an article of an interview with former president, long-time Christian, and Sunday School teacher, Jimmy Carter. Granted, I've heard passing, and various, thoughts on Carter's views on Christ-followship, and I think I had heard that he had separated himself from Southern Baptist culture, in particular, some time ago. I had reserved even internally sizing-up his  thoughts on genuine Christ-followship. I had no basis to wonder ....before today.

The below snippet of an interview with The Huffington Post reveals a source problem for any confessed Christ-follower..

HUFFINGTON POST: Should we approach the Bible literally, or metaphorically?

JIMMY CARTER: When we go to the Bible we should keep in mind that the basic principles of the Bible are taught by God, but written down by human beings deprived of modern day knowledge. So there is some fallibility in the writings of the Bible. But the basic principles are applicable to my life and I don't find any conflict among them.

(for sake of full disclosure, this is the URL to the full interview on Huffington Post's web-site: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/19/president-jimmy-carter-bible-book_n_1349570.html)

The statement "So there is some fallibility in the writings of the Bible" really says it all. No dissecting, nor debating, of modern-day cultural, and / or spiritual, topics is necessary, nor yet applicable! Forget discussions of homosexual marriage (which was, in part, the Huffington Post article), or anything else argued as "authoritative" based on Scripture. How can the scriptures be God's authoritative word, good for teaching, etc. (2 Tim. 3:16), when a Christ-follower has declared His word "fallible"? How one can conclude "any" of it to be trustworthy, if indeed tarnished by fallible human-hands, is beyond me.

With all respect, Mr Carter, I'd chunk my bible and write my own memoirs as a guide to spiritual living and thinking. I might even consider replacing it for Sunday School lessons. It would be far less contradictory and easier to swallow.