Saturday, September 11, 2010

Purpose

But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus—the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God. -Acts 20:24, NLT

This Scripture reminds me of my purpose, our purpose, on this marble. Though I do gain some ground in terms of endurance, and patience as I get older ...I still find myself "distracted" too often. Distracted by the opinions of others, the arguments and debates of who we are, where we come from, why bad things happen (.. I rarely hear us ask why "good" things happen, incidentally..). At times I find myself taking stock of my life thus far. I find myself wondering if it has amounted to anything ...and then I catch myself weighing it against those things that cannot really last, at best, beyond my own existence.

I agree with these words. My life truly is worth nothing unless used for the purposes for which God has called me, of which He has made clear in His word. We are not trapped, or doomed, to an existence of meaninglessness. Rather, we are set free to pursue a singular purpose, laying aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, to run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12)

In that work ...we rest... knowing that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. -Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment