Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Training Up A Next Generation

"How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word."  -Psalm 119:9
My children roll their eyes at me most days. I think they see me as "overly religious", preachy, and maybe even somewhat hypocritical (as they see my own shortcomings too) ...though I don't set out to be any of those; as if I'm not just as prone to the same temptations and pitfalls of sin in this life. 


In fact, Christian, I would submit that it is of the utmost importance that we let our children know that piousness is of little significance ...compared to an attitude of humility, empathy, and understanding. Recognizing, and / or admitting, our own failures doesn't negate the significance of Godly truth.


Yet all the empathy in the world isn't an excuse not to train our children in the way they should go. I often text my two teen-age boys Scripture bites, just as I will this one, and other nuggets of Godly wisdom. I don't know how much they soak it up, ...but I know that, someday soon, they'll hold their mom and I accountable for how they're brought up. I refuse to fail on the side of laziness, or fear of "looking hoaky". I agree with Joshua... "as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." How will they (especially our children) hear ....unless there is a preacher?