Thursday, January 6, 2011

Do You Have To Be Right All The Time?

I recall being asked this question a few times over my years ...and the answer has, historically, been .....YES!! At least, I want to be right as often as I can. As I grow older, however, I am learning that I don't have to have my hand in "everything". I do not have to be on top of every detail, or in control of every situation. I haven't yet "arrived" ...but it's all about the journey, right?? This requires some degree (lesser or greater, depending on the situation) of "trust" ...faith.

Besides that, isn't it selfish, on my part, to not let go? What if someone else needs to learn something? What if someone else just might do a better job than I? "Let go, and let God" would apply here.

"And he believed the LORD, and he counted it to him as righteousness." -Genesis 15:6

Abraham, as he reasoned with God, saw that he was child-less; no "family" heir to his household. But God surprised Abraham. He told him to try and number the stars. If he could, this would be the number of Abraham's offspring. What was Abraham's response to God's promise?? "...he believed the LORD..". The Scriptures say that "..He [God] counted it to him as righteousness." Abraham had no control over his situation, but was completely dependent upon God's provision. He didn't have to be "right" ...but his faith made him righteous.

Growing older, I've taken on a new perspective. I'd rather be made right, than to be right!! The LORD, God is in charge. He is the One who is right. We are to trust, in Him, for righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment