Friday, December 17, 2010

Absolute Answers

A good article, below, from Tyndale House Publishers. Just thought it was well stated and concise. If you think "truth" is relative, I would ask you to consider the precepts this article speaks of. Don't base any decision on this article alone, but I would challenge you to very honestly consider your role, your place, in this world. I would challenge you to ask yourself how often you have thought something is absolutely right, or even wrong, and then realized your views had changed, or at least shifted, as time and circumstances changed. I know of no one who hasn't come to that realization; which begs the question ...is my, or your, truth sustainable? Is it reliable? If I'm really honest with myself, I have to recognize that many, many times, over my almost 40 years, what was "truth to me" was influenced by the circumstances around me, my environment, and my own needs at the time. I could ask someone else, and get a different perspective, or maybe an opposing view. This does NOT make me, or anyone else, a "bad person". It makes us... human. It also indicates a great need for a truth by which we can guide our decisions, our morals, our beliefs. You know the old saying.. "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything." But the "something" you choose to stand for is very important, and if you truly stand on that "something" it will direct, to some degree, your future. The "truth" for which we decide to stand matters greatly, far more reaching than just you or I. Otherwise, what you and I view as appalling today will, by someone sooner or later, become appealing tomorrow.

-Steve


Absolute Answers

Have you ever heard anyone say that truth is relative? Maybe you’ve even heard someone say, 'Your truth isn’t necessarily my truth. What’s true for you may not be true for me.' Ever say that yourself?

Some people think that truth and standards of right and wrong change from decade to decade or from person to person. They make choices based on society’s or their peers’ definitions of right and wrong. Like Judges 21:25 says, 'The people [do] whatever seem[s] right in their own eyes' (Judg 21:25). Does that describe anyone you know?

Magazines, newspapers, and Internet carry story after story about lifestyle choices: a unmarried couple who lives together before marriage ('After all, we’re in love'); a person who finally decides to break 'free' of the shackles of heterosexual life to explore his or her 'true' nature as a homosexual; a teen who just wants to be free to express his or her sexuality; a pastor who decides to bless the union of a same-sex couple--the list goes on. If you didn’t catch those, just wait for the follow-up talk shows and movies. Many of these choices are made in the name of tolerance and other forms of political correctness. Those opposed to these lifestyle choices are viewed as intolerant, especially if society gives them the green light.

Wondering what’s truly right or wrong? The Bible provides definite answers. The Ten Commandments and other laws reveal God’s standards of right and wrong. Take murder for example. God says no to that. What about adultery? Don’t even think about it. Stealing? Ditto. But honoring God and your parents are good moves.

Although times change, God’s standards never do. 'Your eternal word, O Lord, stands firm in heaven' (Ps 119:89). 'The very essence of your words is truth; all your just regulations will stand forever' (Ps 119:160). Because God’s standards always are the same, some are quick to describe the Bible as old-fashioned or lacking in relevance. Others might ignore it because they resent being measured by its standards. What’s your view?

No comments:

Post a Comment